I decided to tackle the leather jacket next! I found a great starter jacket at the goodwill outlet (so $1.60 a pound). Issue was it was to small. Well partially to small the top half of the jacket fit fine but when it came to my hips it just didn’t fit.
There was also a few rips and seam popping going on. Overall it was a perfect blank slate. I started by tackling the widening of the hips. For this I took a side seam and inserted a triangular piece that I had added stitch-work and an additional piece to add interest at the bottom.
Next I decided to do the stitch-work on the shoulders. I had to straighten out the padding that was already present in the shoulders, but surprisingly didn’t have to add any more to get the look that I wanted.
Finally I did the last of the decorative stitching which is on the cuffs. This I will admit was the hardest of the decorative stitching. This was because the cuffs have the smallest area to work with and I could only do about six stitches at a time. I decided to not go down to all the way to the bottom of the cuff like in the inspiration photo.
For the decorative stitching on the shoulders and cuffs I made all of the lines with one long stitch. I hid the stitch that connects each parallel line in an existing stitch or a seam. I think I am done adding decorative stitching, but I am going to wear it a few times before I insert the lining. There is nothing worse then thinking a project is over then wanting to tweak something.
And WALLAAAAA! Yes I am trying to pull of my best studious look. Overall I am quite happy with how it turned out. It is amazing what adding a few areas of interest can do to a somewhat boring piece.